Saturday, September 06, 2008

Ramsey vs Yanks

This article about Gordon Ramsey's culture shock on arriving in the USA sums up all the very worst in American diners:
“Hardly anyone drinks here,” he announces, with palpable disgust... “You’re on your second glass of wine and they’re like, ‘How long have you been an alcoholic?’ "

‘Do you want that to go?’ I say to them, ‘Sorry? I just had the Caesar salad. What the f*** do I want to take that home for?’ The salad lasts for 11, 12 minutes – you’re gonna take that slimy s*** out of your fridge 24 hours later and eat it? Bollocks!”

[D]iners who insist on customising every order (“Can I have a BLT with no bread?” he mimics)
This was a huge bugbear for me when I was a waiter. The menu is not a fucking list of suggestions. It's the menu. If it's it's not on the menu, then you can't fucking have it!

But then again, the lived-in face of Ramsey is a bit of a shock to the Botox Nation too:
“My first year here, I was staying at the Chateau Marmont and this room-service waitress turned up and she goes, ‘Oh, my God, what happened to your face?’” he recalls, shaking his head. “I said, ‘What do you mean?’ She said, ‘Did you go through a car windscreen?’ ”