Sunday, September 27, 2009

To infinity and back

I must have been about 8 when I discovered a glimpse of infinity at my Nana's state house. It was in the bathroom. If I stood on a stool and opened the medicine cabinet, I could angle the shaving mirror in such a way that I could witness a sudden row of dwindling me's.

That was one memory that came slamming back to me on entering one of Yayoi Kusama's installations at the opening of City Gallery today. Another featured a superposition of inverse rooms linked by a zigzag tunnel of convex mirrors (There's not a concave mirror in the place. Everything bounces out).

The ground floor holds a sea of reflective orbs, scattering the incoming sunlight all over the show. In the centre dangles bulbous shiny mobiles framing everything just right. Looking up at them sucks you right into Escher land (or down the rabbit hole).

There are other surprises. See it for yourself. It's the closest you can get to drugs without drugs. Wednesday 7th October is the next free day, then it's every second Wednesday after that. Parents, be warned. Some parts may look like a bouncy castle or sofa, but you're supposed to use your eyes only. All you have to do is look. That's where the fun is.