Monday, May 04, 2009

Dislabelled

A couple of the lady bloggers have been discussing the subject of disability. Homepaddock commemorates Dan whilst calling for the destigmatisation of people with disabilities. Meantime, Lindsay Mitchell complains of the excessive fawning over the "disability-isation of people". In reply to both, here's the gist of a conversation between an employment consultant and me from a few years back:

Employment Consultant: How deaf are you?
Me: My right ear only picks up Drum & Bass and my left ear can't hear anything over middle frequencies.
EC: Any other prevailing conditions?
Me: Well, it's not officially diagnosed, but I'm also a bit Aspie.
EC: You don't act Aspie to me. Best not to mention that. One disability is hard enough to swing with employers. Two makes it practically impossible to get a job.