While council staff consider "the most effective and humane way of culling the population," here's a range of suggestions free of charge:
- Have recordings of Jim Anderton speeches broadcast over speakers in the park. Either no-one will stay long enough to litter or feed the pigeons, or the drone will put the pigeons to sleep.
- Taser them. If it's humane enough to use on humans, it's OK for pigeons.
- Use up excess stocks of BZP by putting doses in raisins for the pigeons to consume.
- Have some bodypainters paint the birds with the NZ flag and let Tame Iti complete his community service by shooting at them.
- Turn John Key's mass of useless DVDs into shurikens. Charge $2 for a throw at a pigeon.
- Trevor Mallard spends summer working as a scarecrow at Midland Park. Optional extra, he can threaten to punch people for littering or feeding the birds.
- Sign up all the pigeons as National party members and let the Labour government do the rest.